Genetic Disease Testing
Sperm Donor Testing
It is essential to have a comprehensive understanding of genetic conditions
and genetic inheritance in order to provide the best possible donor
screening for inherited conditions. Fairfax Cryobank provides the expertise
of board-certified clinical geneticists in evaluation of the donor's
medical and family history as well as reviewing the test results of
the extensive genetic screening performed on all sperm donor applicants. Any
applicant with a family history that places him at higher than normal
risk of transmitting a genetic condition is rejected.
Any candidate that is identified as a carrier or exhibits evidence
of any of these diseases is not accepted into the donor program.
All New Donors since June 2008
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). Donors with SMA testing are indicated on their medical profiles as being tested. Please contact Client Services by phone (800-338-8407) or email for a list of tested donors.
Donor of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry:
- Tay Sachs disease
- Canavan disease
- Gaucher disease
- Bloom syndrome
- Fanconi-Amemia Type-C
- Niemann-Pick Type A
- Mucolipidosis Type IV
- Familial Dysautonomia
Also added since 9/2010:
- Maple Syrup Urine Type 1B
- ABCC8-Related Hyperinsulinism
- Usher Syndrome Type-IF and Type-III
- Glycogen Storage Disease Type-1A
- Lipoamide Dehydrogenase Deficiency
Donors of French Canadian Ancestry:
Donors of Irish Ancestry (began testing in 6/2008)
Donors of Asian, Middle Eastern or Mediterranean Ancestry:
Donors of African, Black American Ancestry:
- Sickle Cell disease and other hemoglobinopathies
* Fairfax Cryobank screens all donors regardless of ethnicity for the presence
of both hemoglobin S and C trait.
Click here for a detailed description
of these genetic diseases.
See frequently asked questions about genetics.
Are you a carrier of a genetic disease and need a donor that has been tested negative for the same disease? We offer special testing on donors. Please contact our genetic counselor to coordinate testing at 800-338-8407.
See a Sperm Bank Comparison, where Fairfax Cryobank is compared to other sperm banks.